Saturday, October 31, 2009

10 weeks and First Ultrasound!



Ten weeks down and finally my bloat is down too!  I've taken bare belly pics that I haven't posted in the last few weeks and the progression of my bloat is truly amazing.  Still no real baby bump to speak of, but at least my pants are fitting better again - I was afraid I was going to have to move into maternity pants at 10 weeks!

Baby is the size of a small plum now, and has graduated from 'embryo' to 'fetus' status.  All the basics of the body and organs are laid out now.  I've been a busy little baby-grower!!  I'm still getting sick every.single.morning unfortunately - and still am sooo ready for that to end.  I feel slightly less tired than I had been though - not anything remotely like 'energetic' mind you - just 'less dead to the world' more than anything.  Baby also lost its tail!  So sad - I liked that my baby had a lil' lizard tail, but Jeff is happy to know it is gone.  hahaha.  Eye color is also determined by this week, though we are expecting a brown eyed baby as that is what we both have.


We also had our first ultrasound this week and midwife appointment!  It was seriously the most amazing thing ever.  Of course I was terrified they'd look with the u/s probe and there would be no baby there or no heartbeat, etc etc any number of terrible circumstances flashed through my mind.  But other than discovering I have a tipped uterus and thus the baby is further back from my tummy right now and thus giving us lower quality pics than we otherwise would have gotten, everything was great!!  Heartbeat was measured at 176bpm which is on the 'higher' end of normal and the old wives tale is that girl babies have a faster heartbeat.  I know one person who's having a boy and hers was lower, but someone else whose was close to mine and is also supposed to be having a boy though so you never know.  I wish we could know now though!

It's a little hard to see in the pictures - the first one is the best profile shot we got - you may be able to click the pictures to enlarge them to full-size which will help.  The second picture I think was taking when we were watching our little bean flippity floppitying all around in my uterus.  You can see the little leg sticking out on one end and I think next to the profile is an arm.  I couldn't believe how it could move and flop around in there all while i have no idea.  I think there's another month left till I'll feel any movement though when the arms and legs are longer and stronger.  The last one shows a good shot of the little foot.  The tech marked it but it was pretty foot-like.  We were both shocked at how human-like our little one is already.

They did measure for growth and I'm right on target - measuring one day ahead actually of my due date based on my ovulation but right on target with the due date calculated on LMP so we're using 5/25/10 now.  They'll continue to keep track of growth through u/s and potentially change my due date accordingly as necessary.

Right after the ultrasound, we met with the midwife who I absolutely loved.  I will see the rest of the midwives in the practice so that they are familiar with me and I with them as you get whichever one is on when you go into labor, but I really really liked the one we saw.  She was goofy and fun and was thrilled that I came in with a huge list of questions for her and even better than that, the answers she gave to the questions were almost all what I wanted to hear.  We didn't get to listen to the heartbeat with the doppler because of my tilted uterus - the larger distance can make it harder to get a heartbeat for a few more weeks, but by our next appointment on November 23rd we should be all set to hear it.  I can't wait.  Seeing that little flicker on the u/s screen was amazing but I know actually hearing it will be even moreso!

0 comments on "10 weeks and First Ultrasound!"

 

Our Hippy Baby Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez